Thursday 18 September 2014

The Big debate - should you tell your doctor?

This is not a general critique of our medical professionals , but I have pre- and post-Banting struggled to find a doctor that really listens and thinks and questions science and facts. Most medical professionals react purely from what they were taught. Few in my experience think outside the box, listens to a patient that's done research or even consider that there might be something that does not match with what they were taught.

I opt, not to tell my GP or any other medical professional that I am eating low carb. I have heard too many horrible debates without substance from medical professionals. People who argue from a point of having not investigated the diet properly. I am tired of "defending" this choice. I am tired hearing claims about how bad cholesterol is when there is so little proof and so many misunderstandings. If I eat like this and feel fantastic, healthy, awake and vibrant why would I change? Why would I go back to being tired all the time, struggling all the time to maintain a stable blood sugar level, eating all the time and slowly picking up weight without reason. Apart from the fact that failing at low fat diets, makes me feel, well, like a miserable failure. AND my cholesterol was "high" even when I was on low fat diets. Getting back to my original thought.

It bugs me when I hear people say "they tried Banting" it does not work for them. I cringe inwardly because there is no single formula for "Banting" or LCHF diets. Each person, has to figure out what they need to do to achieve their goals. How much carbs you can take depends on your health and your genetics or if you wish to lose weight or if you wish to just maintain and feel great. All these categories are very, very important when you put your flag down and say "I am Banting". If you say, "I am trying Banting" then you are in my opinion not really Banting. You most likely don't understand the underlying science and just want a quick fix to lose weight. Some people do lose weight quickly and effectively, but you have to know that this is not universally true. Many people eat this way (like me) because of the consequential health benefits.
  • Stable blood sugar levels
  • Energy
  • Improved brain function
  • Freedom to enjoy really good food
Tell me why would I be scared of the so-called cholesterol threat if this is basic benefits I enjoy every single day living low carb?

Yes, there is a basic formula for low carb eating. Even though I think you really need to know your body and know yourself. Where I think people make some mistakes are in the ratios and quantities. I think it is worth reminding myself regularly about where the big changes are: Fat up, protein same or less than you had previously, no pasta, rice, wheat, potatoes, but eat your carbs in veggies (limited to where your own body can cope). Veggies. Green veggies mostly, but a few carrots here and there and even a sweat potato won't kill you if you are balanced and understand how your pyramid works.

Fat is important (it is so difficult to start eating fat after 41,3 years of not eating it, but I did it and I am so much happier for it).
Good fat (butter, cream, coconut oil and animal fat) should provide you with 70% of your energy quote and the nice thing about using and burning fat for energy is that it requires MORE energy to convert into those useful ketones that gives your brain that nice kick.

Finally: you cant have high fat and high carbs...not possible (for most people) there are a few genetic freaks that can manage the combo, but they are rare. Supplement with Omega 3, SlowMag and pro-biotics. Nothing else is required if you eat right.

Enough ranting for today.

Should you tell your doctor? I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment