Wednesday 17 September 2014

Low carbing recipes I cannot live without (1)

Over the years I had gotten really stressed about eating healthy and then came along LCHF eating. Low carb has changed my life, but my "experimental" cook came with me on this journey, I love changing and tweaking recipes. I don't claim to have invented any of the recipes from scratch, except my ice cream perhaps, but I have tweaked many a good basic recipe and use a few on a regular basis. Many friends ask me for these and I love sharing it so here's my thoughts on:

LOW CARB BREAD - it sounds like I've gone to the dark side again, but bread is such a staple for lunch boxes, purely from the logistically aspect. I don't actually miss "bread" but I miss having something to put my butter, cheese, lettuce and ham. Hence my hunt for a solution that is quick to make, keeps well (ours lasts a week in the winter outside the fridge) and tasty of course.

This basic Low Carb Bread, as it makes packing lunches easier for me. I have a hectic job (I know everybody thinks they do, but I really do) and I tend to work at least 10-12 hours a day. So finding an easy lunch to pack is a high priority for me. This bread keeps really well, holds together great and is perfect for making toast. In fact, it is a moist bread so toasts beautifully.

Nutrition value (don't quote me on this, I calculated this from the labels and although it agrees quite well with Apps I've tested, I cannot guarantee it of course):
Full recipe (1 bread): Protein 109g, Total Fat 217g, Total Carbs (including Fibre) 121g, Dietary Fibre 91g (wow) and Effective Carbs 31g
Per thin slice (and you can get at least 20 slices): Protein 5.5g, Total Fat 10.9g, Total Carbs (incl. Fibre) 6.1g and Effective Carbs a mere 1.5g

Even if you ignore the fibre, the carb content is still phenomenally low. You could eat the entire bread and still be ok on your day's total if you were in "maintenance mode" or not as insulin resistant as I am. My goal is to be under 20g of carbs a day (including the one from veggies so I am very strict).

Basic Recipe:
200 grams of flax seed "flower" freshly prepared in coffee grinder
22 ml psyllium husk powder
15 ml baking powder
3 ml salt (I use pink Himalaya salt for the good minerals)
50 grams of Chai seeds (or other mixed seeds if you wish, whole pumkin seeds are great in this recipe)
4-5 eggs jumbo, free range organic etc
250 grams of full fat cottage cheese
50 grams of double cream or Greek yoghurt
50-80 ml of melted butter or coconut oil (optional for success, but increases the fat content nicely)

Preheat your oven and thoroughly spray your baking tin (I use a pyrex glass one), batter sticks easily.
Mix dry ingredients together
Add in eggs and other wet ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon
Bake for about an hour (but doesn't hurt to go a bit longer)

Remove and enjoy. Smells like bread.

Some options to consider:
I've experimented with various flours (mixing almond, pumkin seed meal and flax sead meal together in different ratios). All works well. Flax seed gives the lowest carb content and I prefer the high Omega 3 impact it has. If you use almond and pumkin flower the carb content will increase to between 2-2.5 grams per slice (but this is marginal and depends on how much you like the "whiter" style of bread it gives. I love flax and it is really good for the tummy (fibre). If you know what  I mean.
Although you could go crazy with additions (cheese, nuts, sundried tomatoes), I find the basic bread to be just fine.

The picture below shows a version with mixed seeds and flower base of both flax and pumkin seed meal I ground up in my trusty coffee grinder. 200g of flax meal is surprisingly easy to make. Maybe 4-5 grinds. Quick as a flash.


No comments:

Post a Comment