Thursday 11 June 2015

Where is the summer sun?

I've gone from feeling like an champ mere hours ago to feeling this cruddy? Must be that virus alert that was sent out: Here she is, all confident and happy, let's get her! A truck ran over me. Funny how a cold can make you feel so terrible so quickly. Head pounding. Eyes puffy. Sigh. And how is it possible to have a runny and blocked nose at the same time? I don't like winter. I like long days and warm summer evenings. I struggle with winter running, the dark mostly. I don't mind the chill, but it's always night? I get up, go to work, it is night. I go to running, I get home, it's still night. Where is the sun. After Comrades, we were back at track on Monday, glorious easy running and I had hope. Maybe this winter will be better. I won't be so useless. If we can keep fit throughout, it will be the perfect base for the coming months. This is merely 48 hours ago...this stupid virus knocked my front teeth out. All I want is to go home and sleep. My main aim for today is not to give in to the urge to close my door and sleep under my desk. I am achieving this via double-podding my Nespresso coffees. I think I may be on my 10th pod for the day already and it is only lunch time. So far it's achieving the target of keeping me more or less upright.

Why I don't like winter:

the second toe on my left foot itches
my fingers are always cold
my toes hurt
I never see the sun
winter PJs throttle me in my sleep
cats are selfish sleepers
(see throttling issue)
all I want to do is snack even if I am not hungry
I drink too much coffee
my skin is so dry it burns and I look like I am ashing
(despite all the moisturizer I use)
it is always dark
my birthday looms
hibernation seems like a feasible vacation destination
days are shorter
cleaning out the fireplace
washing dishes
getting out of the shower
the dead garden
cracked lips

And because I promised myself that I would try to be a more balanced person...

What I love about winter:

hot chocolate, sugar free of course
(but I drink this in summer too)
creamy soups
fires
you always have a cat on your lap
my birthday presents
wearing long coats
(need to get a matrix leather one)
the winter solstice
(because it is the first step towards summer)

Clearly I am not a great candidate to go and work in  Scandinavia or Canada, but at least I know what I like.










No comments:

Post a Comment