Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Art and Science of LCHF running

So you've read the Real Meal Revolution (RMR) and you've discovered what LCHF or Banting really means. Not high protein, low carb (not zero) and high fat (good fats like butter, cream and coconut). But now you have to actually do it...this is where I was 2 weeks ago, quite overwhelmed with all that I had read, and the eating was the easy part.

I have created a "blog within a blog" basically. This write-up is a summary of the stuff that helped me think through the issues, answers to my tens of thousands of questions and generally represents a record of my understanding. This way of eating is right for me, but I have learnt that it needs to be tailored to each individual's circumstances and genetics. We are runners and are trying to run ultra marathons and specifically the Comrades Marathon. All said, we started a bit late to really benefit this year for the race, but we have a real shot to run a more comfortable race - no nausea from sweet GUs and other super-sweet supplements for example.

I have Googled quite extensively on how to fuel and found a few (not always easy to find) references and experiential information. The big "experiment" will come when we actually run a marathon or ultra-distance prior to Comrades. We have two events left. One is a race, the other a long training run. Both these will be our experimental playground. I have no doubt that we will be ok. We can get backup "carbs" along both routes, but the aim will be to do this with fat supplements and real food.

A comment from Ketogains (for full link) was quite helpful to put my mind at ease during the first phases of my search: "Full keto adaptation takes on average 8-12 weeks. This is when you really "feel" keto kicking in for sports performance. In the meantime, you will feel a hit, so be sure to take that in account, and carry on. MCT Oil / Coconut Oil with coffee are your friends here." Keeping in mind, I didn't even fully appreciate what keto-adaptation really means!

Ok, so you can start with Tim Noakes and work your way back to the other resources and references or you can do what I did, dig around and read everything until you've distilled the information into things that make sense to you. I did read Noakes (RMR) and I listened to him on YouTube and I converted 100% because it made so much sense to me. However, my favourite find on the subject is the book by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney, both liberally referenced in Noakes' RMR, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance". This book (I got the Kindle version from Amazon) hit the spot for me. The first book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" is also available on Kindle if the sports angle of the second book is not of interest to you.

What did I find on the internet? Probably too much, but I documented the path I followed, which in the end merely lead to Volek and Phinney.


Quick links to information:
How does ketogenic diets work? You don't have the books yet, but want to read something in the meantime, this is a good read to begin with and refers to information that you will find referenced by Prof Noakes as well.  http://profgrant.com/2013/07/05/how-ketogenic-low-carb-high-fat-diets-work/

I found the following link: http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance. The author records a fantastically interesting experiment. This is one of the more fascinating pieces I've read and really explains the way our bodies change when we go eat the ketogenic way. I think it is a really worthwhile read and it explains the issues raised by many runners who tried the ketogenic diet but dropped out because they thought it wasn't working for them. Note I don't think one should be too critical of "how scientific and how controlled" the tests were, this is a principle that is accepted but the author defines many of the techno-terms nicely.

I am a slow runner, top speed performance at high intensity is not my goal; so my overall health is more important that sprinting the mile. But, once you've reached your target (weight or health goals), there is scope to experiment with better carbs (like clever supplements (the new Superstarch and maybe home made "GU" that includes fats).

So I've heard runners say "I tried it and it didn't work for me." The following link discusses the need to stick with this way of life for a significant period before making a judgement. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9587182 Evidence that a short term adaptation is not what we are after. All in all, I believe the secret to endurance is training or adapting your body through training to use it's own fat storage when you run out of "sugar". I don't believe the study focussed on long term ketosis or keto adaptation as you will see from the Peter Attia's pages. "The Eating Academy" is an excellent resource; again read Volek and Phinney if you are interested in performance.

The next link is an example of an endurance athlete and what he eats before an event: Greenfield's breakfast the morning of the Ironman was a half-stick of butter, two shots of MCT oil, and a cup of coffee — in stark contrast to the vats of pasta most endurance athletes inhale before a race.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ironman-triathlete-ben-greenfield-high-fat-diet-can-aid-endurance-training


Remember: Keto adaptation, they say takes 8-12 weeks and some people only really kick in at 6 months. Thus much of what you read needs to be seen in context. Some people are already in what they call nutritional ketosis, and thus have slightly more freedom with carbs. It boils down to whether you can eat <25g per day or 50g per day of carbs or even 75g of carbs (once you are stable and your weight is under control).


Milk is a good recovery drink, coconut water is isotonic and one to remember is greek yoghurt and a few carrots or a small apple (all good post run savers for recovery. Ideas could be to use sweat potato & butternut/pumpkin as alternatives to feeding during a run, but I suspect using a "superstarch" is the better option. This we will test as well. 

And really good suggestions for supplementing, (MCT oil will go on my list to test. I've also seen suggestions of running with coconut oil tablets. Really good idea! Easy to transport. No mess.

So I've learnt a heck of a lot and really feel like we are on our way. We've had our first blood ketosis check (after 3 days of running hard - 100km Easter Training run) and my blood levels were just starting to reach "start of ketosis" levels after two weeks. It may be due to the heavy exercise that we are still slightly lower than ideal, but I will test again in a week. Due to limited availability of blood ketone sticks, we have to use them sparingly. Despite my scientific need to measure daily :-)

Progress to date:
13 days into the new lifestyle
0 hypoglycaemic events
100 km training run with no GU or other sporty supplements (I ran with a boiled egg and a stick of dry wors and water)
-2.5kg lost thus far (mostly water I presume at this stage, but still good, clothes fit better already)
Buy the book here

No comments:

Post a Comment