Friday 25 April 2014

Sharing and thinking

I have always been a bit of an enthusiast when I believe in something. Not just big stuff, like eating LCHF, but even little things like really cool products that make your life easier or just fun. I have a few gadgets (and I hear my friends groan when saying this), because "few" is probably an euphemism. I love gadgets (Garmin, iPhone, iPad, Fitbit, WiFi scales...) and when something is cool I tell people about it. Like I discovered the best ever Skorts from Capestorm. It is just the best design and most comfortable running pants (with a cute skirt) on the market. I caters for the slightly less "leggy" runners like myself, and make me feel sporty and does not creep. Not that this blog is about this at all.

My favourite "Skort"
I have a huge respect for Prof Noakes' enthusiasm and believe that if it hadn't been for him I wouldn't have considered this diet. I specifically say, consider, because I did not just take his word for it. However, his efforts has brought many issues into the light and made me go dig deeper into what we were told and taught about nutrition. Today I question the entirety of what we have been taught about health and nutrition. Although I was pretty much convinced after reading most of the Noakes' publications, I have spent a lot of time reading what other authors and bloggers have published. Easy to miss, is that in Sweden, LCHF or Banting is regarded (officially) as a healthy dietary plan, perhaps because if you look at the climate, the natural state of their diets must have been geared towards low carbs. In summer their fruit is berries, but the rest of the year? What on earth can you really grow in that climate that would last through the winter.

Back to my enthusiasm: I have definitely contributed to the cause, not because I am gaining anything, but it is hard not to tell people when something clicks in your brain. My parents and friends are well informed about my reasons for this choice, which basically means that I talked their ears off once I "got it". Once I understood, and believed, I am willing to share, but I know this is quite a tricky subject. I have thus tried to be quite careful and have minimised unsolicited sharing. I am sharing when asked and of course, I have been documenting some of this journey by writing about it - not that anybody would read this. I know how "faddy" this may look to people who's not done the in depth reading and I have taken a road on which I believe I will stay for the duration. Low carb life thus far has been very interesting. I have not missed bread or pasta or rice at all. Even those "take-out Fridays" where we bought quick burgers for a treat, is a distant memory that I have no desire to go back for. I have really not felt real CRAVINGS in 2 weeks. We switched on the 9th of April 2014. After work on Tuesday, 8 April 2014, we dropped in at Woolies and bought cream, full cream milk, cheese, butter, avocados, greek yoghurt and eggs. Note, we had to go out and buy these healthy items because we had none in the fridge or pantry at home. My weight hasn't dropped dramatically, but I have definitely lost at least 1 kg of real weight, include water about 2.5kg. I have not measured yet, but I feel a definite decline in my muffin. I also suspect that with my history of thyroid issues and hypoglycaemia I will have a bit more of a struggle to get my appetite control properly reset. I can already see that we are eating much less and my quality of life has dramatically improved. So no regrets here. Day 18 and still going strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment