Thursday 8 March 2012

My favourite things

 
Like most runners, I have a few running habits. Things that make me feel good inside, things I take with me to races and on training runs, my favourite things. (And as I write the words I hear Julie Andrews in my head, singing "these are a few of my favourite things" - I love whiskers on kittens! Before I start posting the "Kitten Diaries", back to running.) My favourite running things are my GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 610, my super-gadget), my favourite Falke socks, chocolate flavoured GU (I hear there is a peanut butter flavour now...), my trusty running shoes, my two training partners, coffee and rusks at the car before the race starts, Future Life energy meals, and those moments when you run and you just feel FREE (the latter, you can't buy or coerce, it happens when it happens).

Thinking about my favourite running things, made me think about this journey. How did all of this happen? Most of my life I've been the fat one, the bookish one, the nerd not the ever the athlete. I am still not sure I am truly an athlete, but I look around at people my age and very few do what I do. Try what I try and dream this big. Maybe it is a bit of a belated response to life, but who cares? At least I am trying and I am out there and running gave me the wonderful gift of adventure. Adventures like swimming the Midmar Mile this year (I could not swim 6 months ago), running races that seemed impossible not that long ago, dreaming about completing big events like the Great Wall Marathon, maybe even the Comrades one day! 
I started running about 4 years ago and I began from the lowest possible base you can imagine. NEVER doing any sport at all. And when I say running I use the term very loosely. I walked on a treadmill three times a week, slowly increasing my pace and watching Greys Anatomy while I "treaded" my mill. My treadmill journey took me from an overweight, couch potato to a moderately fit 37 year old (15kg lighter, not perfect but better). I followed a basic 10k training plan (all on the treadmill) and finally took the plunge into the "real" world. My first 10k on the road (and my first road running experience) was on the 14th of February 2008; Randburg Harriers Valentine's Night Race. It was amazing. Not only did I love the atmosphere of the night race, but somehow, I had managed to run (jog) 10 000 meters and finish in a not too shabby first time of 70 minutes (and I was at the back of the pack at the start, newbie that I was)! I was shocked, awed and exhilarated and I fell in love (appropriately) with this thing called running. The next day of course, I realised that running on a treadmill will not prepare your body for the road and I ached all over. Not enough to make me stop though. Suddenly, I felt more confident, happier and hopeful. I started dreaming about longer distances. Soon I started running 15s, then a couple half marathons and even tackled the RAC Tough One in November 2009 (32km). 


Running is definitely, one of my favourite things.

1 comment:

  1. the way you write about running you almost makes me optimistic that i will someday enjoy it too! :-)

    ReplyDelete